Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 hrs
This is how I have been making my ham and beans for years. . .I think you either love these or hate these!!! Total comfort food for me, as I make them very similar to my dad's recipe which I had growing up. Perfect served with corn bread on a cool fall or winter day. I add 3 T of Andrea's Sauce (a savory steak marinade with flavors of worchester, garlic, and onion), but Recipezaar does not recognize it. This freezes well, so don't be afraid to serve it once and freeze the leftovers for later!
- 1 lb great northern bean
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 cup cubed ham
- 1 bay leaf
- 7 cups water
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon
- 1 ham bone
- Rinse and sort thru beans (has anyone ever really found a rock in these?). Cover with water and let sit overnight.
- In the morning, drain water, rinse again and place beans in the crockpot. Dump in all of the other ingredients (except ham bone) and give it a few good stirs.
- Put the ham bone in the crockpot, cover and cook on high for 6-8 hours.
- Remove the bay leaf, ham bone and fish out any bones that may have fallen off during cooking. Stir the beans a few times. Remove 1 cup of the beans and place in a bowl, mash them with a potato masher or back of a spoon, then return to the beans and stir; this helps thicken it up a bit.
- Take off any meat left on the ham bone, chop and return it to the crockpot.
- Stir again and serve!
I love bean soup and I love crock pot cooking, so this combination was a hit with me. I made exactly as written and it turned out perfectly. I liked the consistency of the soup after mashing about 2 cups of the beans and adding them back to the soup. I especially loved the way my house smelled while the soup was simmering in the crock pot. Thanks for another terrific recipe JB. Made for September 2010 Aus/NZ Swap.
Rinse and sort thru beans (has anyone ever really found a rock in these?). The answer is, yes I have found a rock. So be sure to pay attention!
Hands down the best ham and bean soup that I have made. My son commented on how good it was and I brought it to work to share with my team. They loved it and put away seconds.