Recipe by connie427
Pink or Pinto beans can be used and I cook with a ham bone or ham hocks whichever I have on had. Very tasty and the spice level can be adjusted according to the amount of jalapenos used. Easy and good!
Top Review by Ranch mom
This was really good. I had a meaty ham bone and the only changes that I made was to increase the chicken broth to 8 cups. I used 1 lb of pink beans and 1 1/2 lb of great northern beans. I put in 3 jalapenos. I will add one more jalapeno next time. Love the heat and how the flavors blended. I did use 5 cloves of garlic. I only had 1/4 onion so I added a envelope of Lipton Onion Soup mix. Will make again when we have a ham bone left from our ham. Thanks for the recipe!
- 2 1⁄2 lbs dried pink beans or 2 1⁄2 lbs pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat (or can use veg. oil)
- ham bone (or ham hocks)
- 2 jalapenos, chopped (have used 2T of canned)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (I use 5 cloves)
- 2 -4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf, broken in half
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight or cover with water and bring to boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat and let stand for one hour. Then drain off all liquid.
- Melt bacon fat in a 5 quart pot and add chiles, onions, garlic, oregano and cumin. Saute til soft about 5 minutes.
- Add drained beans, broth, water can be used instead of the broth, but I use 4c broth, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer til beans are tender or about 2 hours.
- After cooking, add salt and cayenne and remove the bay leaf. More salt can be added according to your taste.