1/1 Photo of Ham and Beans
Pink or Pinto beans can be used and I cook with a ham bone or ham hocks whichever I have on had. Very tasty and the spice level can be adjusted according to the amount of jalapenos used. Easy and good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs dried pink beans or 2 1/2 lbs pinto beans
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat (or can use veg. oil)
- ham bone (or ham hocks)
- 2 jalapenos, chopped (have used 2T of canned)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (I use 5 cloves)
- 2 -4 cups chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf, broken in half
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1Soak beans overnight or cover with water and bring to boil and simmer for 2 minutes.
- 2Turn off heat and let stand for one hour. Then drain off all liquid.
- 3Melt bacon fat in a 5 quart pot and add chiles, onions, garlic, oregano and cumin. Saute til soft about 5 minutes.
- 4Add drained beans, broth, water can be used instead of the broth, but I use 4c broth, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce heat and simmer til beans are tender or about 2 hours.
- 5After cooking, add salt and cayenne and remove the bay leaf. More salt can be added according to your taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Beans
Serving Size: 1 (182 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.7
- Calories from Fat 19
- Total Fat 2.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 494.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 94.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.5 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 31.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: