This is a soup that I made recently. My husband really enjoyed it and I believe I will be making this a lot this winter. He had no idea that I used spinach and was very suprised when I told him. He hates spinach but loves this soup!
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) canwhite cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups course chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- In a medium stock pot, saute ham in oil and butter until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, add onion, celery, carrots and garlic over medium heat, until vegetables are softened, not brown.
- Add chicken broth and seasonings; simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in cannellini beans, spinach and parsley.
- Cook briefly just until spinach wilts, about 2-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs and Parmesan with a whisk, I like to temper the egg/cheese mixture by adding 2 Tablesppons of the hot liquid from the soup, to the egg/cheese and stir quickly after each addition, then add egg mixture into the soup and stir until smooth.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
I specifically chose this recipe because of the spinach...and in the end I forgot to add it! I did everything else according to the recipe and it was so delicious. Very good comfort food and very tasty. I used the leftover bone from a ham that we cooked for New Year's Day. I simmered the bone in the liquid for a couple of hours and it was so tasty.
Fabulous recipe! quite filling, O yes indeedy. I omitted butter, only because I overlooked it all together-oopsie; added red pepper flakes and exchanged veggie broth for the suggested chicken. I also used dried parsley vs fresh w/o the addition of salt & pep. YUM! YUM! YUMMY! Served w/San Francisco Sourdough Bread and Chardonnay.
This one was a bomb for us. I normally love anything with spinach in it, but this was just inedible. It was way too salty, even though I didn't add any salt at all. I think that maybe if the ham had been rinsed and then sauteed in just oil instead of the oil and butter, it would have been better. I could have really liked the flavor otherwise. As it was, I had to pour it down the drain. :(