Recipe by Judy-Jude
This is a soup that I made recently. My husband really enjoyed it and I believe I will be making this a lot this winter. He had no idea that I used spinach and was very suprised when I told him. He hates spinach but loves this soup!
Top Review by jmhaan
I specifically chose this recipe because of the spinach...and in the end I forgot to add it! I did everything else according to the recipe and it was so delicious. Very good comfort food and very tasty. I used the leftover bone from a ham that we cooked for New Year's Day. I simmered the bone in the liquid for a couple of hours and it was so tasty.
- 1 cup ham, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (14 ounce) canwhite cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups course chopped fresh spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium stock pot, saute ham in oil and butter until lightly browned, about 5 minutes, add onion, celery, carrots and garlic over medium heat, until vegetables are softened, not brown.
- Add chicken broth and seasonings; simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in cannellini beans, spinach and parsley.
- Cook briefly just until spinach wilts, about 2-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs and Parmesan with a whisk, I like to temper the egg/cheese mixture by adding 2 Tablesppons of the hot liquid from the soup, to the egg/cheese and stir quickly after each addition, then add egg mixture into the soup and stir until smooth.
- Salt and pepper to taste.