Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
In ‘The Complete Southern Cookbook’ by Tammy Allgood
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon ham soup base or 1 tablespoon ham bouillon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups chopped cooked ham
- 2 (15 ounce) cans navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 yukon gold potatoes, peeled and diced
- Place the oil in a large Dutch oven over med-high heat.
- Add the onions, green onions, carrots, celery, garlic, ham base, and pepper.
- Saute 5 minutes, or until the onions are tender.
- Stir in the ham, navy beans, cannellini beans, black beans, and potatoes.
- Add enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce the heat to low.
- Cook 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm.