1/1 Photo of Ham and Bacon Quiche
1 hr 15 mins
Marianne in Switzerland's Note:
A simple, yet tasty quiche. Easy to make and easy to vary in all sorts of ways. Add any vegetables you like. Substitute pork with chicken. Add garlic to the dough. Add parmesan cheese to the egg mixture. Go for it! Can also be served cold. Note that I make double the dough I need, as I like a thin pastry. You can use all the dough, but remember to stick with a fork or precook in the oven without the filling if you do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 340 g plain flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 170 g margarine
- 1/4 liter water (as needed)
- 100 g bacon, in fingernail-size cubes
- 100 g ham, in fingernail-size cubes
- 100 g chopped onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 carrot, grated
- 2 eggs
- 3 decilitres milk (or cream)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 1The shortcrust pastry is the same as this one http://www.food.com/recipe/shortcrust-pastry-177343 except I use margarine instead of butter.
- 2Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the margarine and either crumble by hand or mix in a food processor until the margarine is evenly distributed. Add cool water until the dough is firm, but pliable. Wrap in plastic wrap and put in the fridge to set for 30 minutes or the next day. Dough can also be frozen.
- 3Preheat your oven to 220 degrees C (430 F).
- 4Fry the bacon in a non-stick pan until it has yielded all its fat. If there is too much fat in the pan, use a paper towel to soak up some of the fat. Add ham. Wait a couple of minutes. Add onion. Wait until the onion is starting to become glassy. Add garlic and carrots and stir for about a minute. Take off the heat.
- 5Put eggs, milk, salt, pepper and chives in a bowl and mix carefully until there is an even colour. Don't stir too much! Rather too little!
- 6Take half the dough and roll out to the shape of your pan and a bit larger. Lay in the pan making sure it goes all the way up to the edge. Add the meat and such from the frying pan and even it out over the dough. Pour in the egg/milk mixture.
- 7Bake at 220 C for 30-40 minutes until the egg mixture becomes dark golden brown.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Bacon Quiche
Serving Size: 1 (487 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1887.1
- Calories from Fat 911
- Total Fat 101.3 g
- Saturated Fat 22.3 g
- Cholesterol 271.5 mg
- Sodium 5264.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 192.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 50.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: