Recipe by Pietro
An alternative to the famous Carbonara. This is a recipe that I put together just for fun and it has been used over and over again by many cooks who want to cook something special for their guests.
Top Review by Kizzikate
YUM! I prepared this for the family that I cook for- who love ham, and asparagus. It was just delicious. Kept me on my toes, too, with the metric measurements! Made for PAC 2007.
- 500 g good quality ham steaks
- 1 (285 g) can asparagus spears, in brine
- 1 (300 g) can cream
- 1 (500 g) packet fettuccine pasta
- 2 eggs
- 30 g grated parmesan cheese
- olive oil
- cracked black peppercorns
- ground paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice the ham steaks.
- Brush frypan with olive oil and gently cook ham until slightly golden.
- Drain any excess liquid.
- Drain asparagus, chop into bite size pieces.
- Add cream, half a teaspoon of paprika and asparagus to ham and simmer.
- Do not boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, bring pot of salted water to boil and add fettucine.
- Crack eggs into bowl and add parmesan cheese and half teaspoon of cracked peppercorns.
- Whisk egg mixture until egg drips off whisk.
- Do not overbeat.
- Drain cooked fettucine and reserve.
- In the pot place two level tablespoons of butter and warm until the butter begins to bubble.
- Add fetticine and toss until butter disappears.
- Add egg mixture and toss fettucine quickly to get an even coverage.
- Add cream mixture and keep tossing fettucine so that all ingredients are well combined.
- Serve on warm plates and garnish with basil and a sprinkle of grated parmesan.
- The secret is to keep the heat low and work quickly to produce a great result.