Recipe by Marla Swoffer
Great way to use up leftover rice--I modified a recipe I found on the web and ended up with a real winner. Also great the next morning with scrambled eggs. I have a feeling that the right combination of seasonings could replace the cream of celery soup--let me know if you figure it out!
Top Review by JustJudy
I used our leftover HoneyBaked ham with this recipe and it turned out delicious -- even my very picky DH loved it! My only suggestion would be to use an 8x12 baking/casserole dish (I used 9x13 and the edges ended up a tiny bit dry, although my total cooking time was a bit longer than suggested --30 mins -- because we like our asparagus slightly tender). Thanks.
- 1 lb asparagus, tough ends trimmed
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 8 ounces ham (deli or packaged lunch meat works well)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 and grease a rectangular casserole dish.
- Chop asparagus and ham into bite-size pieces.
- Combine rice, asparagus and ham in casserole dish.
- Combine soup and stock and pour over casserole.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes (test asparagus for preferred texture--I like mine a little crisp).
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake until melted.