Recipe by Lorac
A great recipe for leftover ham. Serve it over buttered toast or leftover mashed potatoes for a quick and easy meal.
Top Review by berry271
I have always served this over mashed potatoes. It's a nice way to make instant potatoes (If you don't have leftovers of the real thing on hand) a little more "special." It is a very comforting and tasty dish. I have even made a "prep ahead cassarole" version to take as a meal to a friend. To do this I made the potatoes and lined the bottom of a 9 by 13 dish with them, and then made the sauce and poured it on top of the potatoes. It warms up in a cassarole dish in about 20-30 minutes at 350.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons grated onions
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup diced cooked ham
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1 cup cooked peas
- 1 (2 ounce) jar pimientos, drained and chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan, sauté onion and celery over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and stir until incorporated.
- Slowly add the milk stirring constantly until smooth and thickened, add more milk if the sauce becomes too thick.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over low heat, stirring frequently until heated through.