Recipe by nguthrie85
The perfect way to produce a juicy, perfectly cooked ham. This method helps to reduce the sodium in the ham and leaves the meat juicy and tender.
- 4 lbs ham
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat pot on burner at medium heat.
- Add 3 tbsp oil.
- Add chopped onion, carrot, celery, and garlic.
- Allow them to cook for about 10 minutes. (May choose to cook longer to caramelize the sugars).
- Add the ham, and enough water to just cover the ham. Add bay leaf.
- Bring liquid to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and allow it to simmer for about 2 to 3 hours (depending on the size of your ham, whether or not it went in frozen or room temperature will affect cooking time).
- I turn my ham half way through cooking.
- For best results, allow the ham to cool in the broth.