Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A delicious ham. Different from the usual pineapple ham.
- ham, with bone (I think they are called pork shoulder)
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup mustard
- maple syrup
- apple juice
- With the fat side down, score the top of ham with four strokes across and then turn 1/2 turn and score again with four more.
- Place ham in a baking dish (that has a cover) and smother with the mustard.
- Next pat the brown sugar over the mustard until covered.
- Then pour the maple syrup over the brown sugar and mustard until covered.
- Pour 1 cup apple juice into bottom of pan and cover.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 1 1/2 hours.
- Serve with scalloped potatoes.
Delicious and easy! Thanks for posting!
I made this over the weekend in the crockpot.I cooked the 8lb ham for about 5 hours on high. The sweet taste of the syrup, juice and sugar was just perfect with the slight twang of the mustard. I strained the juices and spooned over the ham on each plate.
A friend of mine made this over the weekend too. She said her family kept going back and eating a slice all day Sunday.
Simple and yummy!
Make sure that you put the ham on a small rack in the roasting pan and Follow the suggestion of another reviewer to spray Pam on the roasting pan. You want the flavor of the mustard to stay with the ham, not entirely mix with the apple juice, that is the reason for the rack. The apple juice is the steaming agent. If you do not have liquid mustard, substitute dry mustard (1 tblsp) per half a cup of mayonnaise, mix and spread over ham (it is strong flavored) but it needs to be, then the brown sugar, then maple syrup, drizzled slowly. I will try the crockpot next time. I try to remove as much of fat as possible because of the layers of flavor going into the meat you don't need the fat. Thanks for posting.
This was delicious! The combo of the mustard and brown sugar was wonderful. I want to make this for my family on the holidays, they will love it. We are a family who uses the pineapple all the time for our hams, but we found a contender! Thanks for the shake-up!