1 hr 15 mins
Sydney Mike's Note:
Here is a dessert for Chanukah -- Festival of Lights. It was found in the 1998 publication, A Treasury of Jewish Holiday Baking. Preparation time does not include the time needed for the baked cake to chill & set.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
FOR THE CRUST
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 1/2 lbs cream cheese, room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame seed oil
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup pistachio nut, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1/4 cup halvah, vanilla, coarsely chopped
FOR THE TOPPING
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2FOR THE CRUST: Spread 1 sheet of phyllo lightly with melted butter & with it line a 10-inch springform pan, allowing the excess to overhang.
- 3Repeat the process with another 4 sheets of phyllo, pressing each one into the pan, starting at the center & allowing the excess to drape over the sides~ If the phyllo you use is smaller, overlap the sheets to create the same effect. Reserve the remaining sheets of phyllo for garnishing the top after baking.
- 4FOR THE FILLING: In a bowl, cream the cheese with the 4 whole eggs, the 1 yolk, vanilla, sesame oil, yogurt, honey, sugar & flour, & combine until smooth, then stir in the nuts & halvah.
- 5Pour into the prepared shell, trim the phyllo overhang to rest just on the rim of the pan, then bake about 45 minutes or until the cake is set.
- 6Meanwhile, cut the remaining phyllo sheets in quarters & brush them with butter.
- 7Remove the cake from the oven & increase the temperature to 400 degrees F, then arrainge the butteres filo sheets on top of the cake in an irregular patchwork, but covering the surface of the cake.
- 8Return the pan to the oven to brown the top phyllo, about 8-10 minutes, then remove & chill the cake until set.
- 9FOR THE TOPPING: When ready to serve, warm the honey & drizzle it over the cake, before topping that with the toasted sesame seeds & chopped pistachio nuts.
Browse Our Top Cheesecake Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Halvah Filo Cheesecake (Jewish)
Serving Size: 1 (102 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 348.0
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 14.1 g
- Cholesterol 126.9 mg
- Sodium 215.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 11.3 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: