Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
The halva i used was a plain sesame and honey type bought from the shops.
- 125 g plain flour
- 1 egg (keep some egg white for glazing)
- 50 g halva
- 50 g sugar
- 2⁄3 teaspoon baking powder
- Sift flour and add egg and sugar.
- Thoroughly mix the halva into the dough.
- Knead dough so all ingredients are combined and shape into a log.
- Brush with the remaining egg white and place in the oven at 180celcius for 10-15mins.
- Remove from the oven and cut into inch-thick slices. Return to the oven at a lower heat until the biscotti are hard and crunchy.
I give this four stars because the recipe description is not very clear - it doesn't specify how much the temperature should be reduced and how long the second baking takes. As I used gluten free flour I'm not sure whether it did affect the texture; usually I can use this mix 1:1 for normal cake flour, but in this case I only got dry crumbles, no way to form a log. It might of course have been the halva I used. Anyway I added one more egg and some more flour, sugar and halva until I got a nice log which I baked 15 minutes. Then I let the log cool for 40 minutes, sliced it and baked the biscotti at the same temperature for another 15 minutes. They turned out very good in terms of taste and texture and I will sure make them again, maybe adding some liquid instead of an additional egg.
Thanks for a most interesting and tasty recipe!
Made for Bargain Basement.