Prep 8 mins
Cook 30 mins
It's surprising how delicious this recipe is! Slightly different from the other recipes on this site.
- 1 cabbage, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) packagedried egg noodles
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- salt, as needed
- black pepper, as needed
- Dice one cabbage and one onion. Set aside.
- In an extra large frying pan put 1 pound diced bacon and stir-fry over medium-high heat until crisp.
- Drain off most of the grease. Add the minced garlic and stir for about a minute. Add the cabbage, onion, broth, 1 teaspoons salt and at least 1 teaspoons black pepper (this dish needs lots of pepper). Cook, stirring occasional until tender. Add more broth if the mixture gets too dry.
- While the cabbage is cooking, cook the egg noodles in salted water until tender.
- Add the noodles to the cabbage mixture and stir in the butter. Check for salt and pepper.
- Serve as a main dish or as a side. Variations: Use sliced kielbasa sausage instead of bacon. Add perogies instead of noodles. Make vegetarian without the meat and using vegetable broth.