Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
A hearty side dish or meatless main course.
Make and share this Haluska, Hungarian potato dumplings with cottage cheese recipe from Food.com.
- boil, peel, and grate a large starchy potatoe.
- Combine with flour, egg, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Drop by 1/2 teaspoon into a large pot of boiling water.
- Dumplings are done when they float.
- Remove from pot and drain well.
- Empty water from pot and return dumplings to it.
- Sprinkle dumplings with dill weed then combine with cottage cheese (I prefer small curd but either works).
- Re-warm dish to eating temperature (cottage cheese will reduce temperature) and serve.
- Alternatively combine with boiled cabbage instead of cottage cheese (also very tasty).
This is ultimate comfort food. I made a full recipe, and served half of the dumplings with sauteed cabbage and onions the first day. Dumplings the next day were sauteed in butter to reheat, and cottage cheese was added. This tastes like my home made peirogi without all the work. Thanks for sharing a great recipe, Mark! Made and enjoyed for PAC Spring '09.
This recipe is very similar to how my family makes dumplings for chicken soup. Wonderful dumplings and enjoyed them with small curd cottage cheese, a definite keeper! (Made and reviewed for Pick A Chef 2007)