Recipe by keen5
This is a Hungarian dish. Not easy on the arteries, but mighty tasty!
Top Review by PeggySuetheStew
The recipe I have for this uses bacon fat instead of butter for a little more flavor; I usually just start with cut up bacon and leave it in for a little texture. I also add smoked sausage and it's a great meal!
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut in strips
- 1 small cabbage or 1⁄2 large cabbage, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) box wide egg noodles, cooked and drained (I use a little less noodles)
- 1 pint sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a large pan or pot, large enough to hold the chopped cabbage.
- Sauté the cabbage and the onion in the butter until glossy and tender.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Cover and let the cabbage mixture simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add cooked drained egg noodles and mix.
- Serve with a bowl of sour cream.
- Add salt to taste.