Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a Hungarian dish. Not easy on the arteries, but mighty tasty!
Make and share this Haluska (Cabbage & Noodles) recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 large onion, peeled and cut in strips
- 1 small cabbage or 1⁄2 large cabbage, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) box wide egg noodles, cooked and drained (I use a little less noodles)
- 1 pint sour cream
- Melt the butter in a large pan or pot, large enough to hold the chopped cabbage.
- Sauté the cabbage and the onion in the butter until glossy and tender.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Cover and let the cabbage mixture simmer over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Add cooked drained egg noodles and mix.
- Serve with a bowl of sour cream.
- Add salt to taste.
The recipe I have for this uses bacon fat instead of butter for a little more flavor; I usually just start with cut up bacon and leave it in for a little texture. I also add smoked sausage and it's a great meal!
This is very similar to how my Mom made cabbage and noodles except that she always served it with cottage cheese! I like it like this!
I'd never had this dish before seeing it on a buffet in PA at Easter. Decided to try it at home. This recipe was the perfect starter. I used half butter/half olive oil. I cooked my egg noodles in turkey broth and combined it all for a very satisfying meal. I will try with sour cream next time.