Recipe by Debbie R.
The is from "The Best of Ukrainian Cuisine". I haven't tried it yet. It differs from the halusky recipe in that it doesn't use farina. Times are guesstimates. If you don't have a meat grinder, you can grate the potatoes instead.
- 1⁄2 lb potato, unpeeled
- 1 fresh potato, peeled
- 1 egg
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pinch red pepper
- salt, one pinch
- melted butter (for drizzling over top)
- sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Be sure to wash the potatoes before doing anything with them.
- Take the one uncooked, peeled potato. Grind in a meatgrinder.
- Cook the other potatoes in salted water. Drain, cool, peel and grind them also in the meat grinder.
- Combine cooked potatoes with fresh potato and egg.
- Brown finely chopped onion in oil. Combine with flour and stir. Season with salt and red pepper. Mix with the potatoes.
- Bring at least a quart of salted water to a simmmer. Drop in spoonfulls of the batter. Cook at a slow boil for 8-10 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to a colander. Do not overcrowd the cooking water.
- To serve, put on a plate and drizzle with butter. Pass with sour cream. It can also be served with fried mushrooms to go with meat dishes.