Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this from a German friend of mine about 10 years ago. It's different from the others posted as it uses dumplings instead of noodles and adds some smoked ham for a more protein rich meal. Very tasty! (time does not include chill time for dumpling dough)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 3 ounces milk
- salt & pepper
- 8 ounces butter
- 1 large yellow onion, diced medium
- 1 head savoy cabbage, diced medium
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 12 ounces smoked ham, julienned
- Mix flour, eggs and milk and season with salt & pepper; mix by hand until incorporated, making sure not to over mix.
- Place dough in refrigerator covered and let rest for 1 hour.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, cut penny sized dumplings into the water by hand and let boil for 5 minutes.
- Strain dumplings and set aside. Melt butter in a large skillet, add onions and cook until translucent, add cabbage and paprika and cook until tender. Toss with dumplings and smoked ham.