Recipe by ChefD
This recipe is a traditional slovak dish used on meatless days. Growing up we had this on Fridays in Lent. The secret is to brown the butter (this is the difficult step because the butter can go from light to dark brown very quickly. You cannot substitute Margarine or light in this recipe.
- 1 head green raw cabbage, shredded
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 lb egg noodles, cooked to al dente
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt unsalted butter in a large skillet. Allow the butter to go to medium brown from the heat.
- Add chopped onions to the browned butter and saute until onions are translucent.
- Add shredded cabbage to the butter/onion mixture and saute until cabbage is soft.
- Add cooked noodles to the cabbage mixture and heat to serving temperature.
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste.