Recipe by JPsBarbie
This casserole will provide the same great taste and comfort food factor of stuffed cabbage without all the time and effort. It freezes and reheats well if not even better than the first day, just like traditional stuffed cabbage.
- 2 lbs ground beef (ground round or sirloin are best)
- 1 cup rice
- 1 bell pepper (red or green)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 28 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons garlic salt
- 2 tablespoons black pepper
- 4 cups cabbage
Directions See How It's Made
- Chop garlic, pepper, and onion.
- In a large bowl add melted butter, 1 T garlic salt, and 1 T black pepper to the chopped vegetables.
- Add UNCOOKED rice and RAW ground beef and mix really well.
- In a medium bowl mix tomato sauce, brown sugar, 1 T garlic salt, 1 T black pepper, and water. Adjust season to your taste. We like it a little sweeter so I usually use about 1 1/2 c brown sugar.
- In a 9" x 13" pan spread half of the sliced cabbage, enough to cover the bottom.
- Loosely cover the cabbage with the meat mixture. Don't press the meat down just lay it on top of the cabbage.
- Cover meat with remaining sliced cabbage and pour sauce over the top.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 350 for about 2 hours or cabbage is soft.