Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is adapted from my 1st grade teacher's recipe. Its a Family favorite.
- 6 cups shredded raw red potatoes
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) cancampbell's cream of celery soup
- 1 pint fat free sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 24 Ritz crackers
- nonstick butter-flavored cooking spray
- In a small skillet, warm your butter and olive oil add and saute onion (I usually dice very fine) and crush your garlic. Cook until soft.
- In a large saucepan, add soups, cream cheese, sour cream.
- Let everything simmer on very low heat, until everything is melted together.
- Mix in your onion mixture.
- Add black pepper.
- Shred 6 red potatoes (or as a time saver use about 1 1/2 bags pre-shredded potatoes).
- In a 9x13 pan, spray pan with nonstick butter spray.
- Layer your potato, then your soup mixture, then grated cheese until finished.
- Top with crushed Ritz crackers.
- Cover with foil.
- bake 1 hour, or until potatoes are soft. Sometimes with potatoes they need longer. So be sure to check and possibly if you can, allow up to 1 1/2 hrs total cook time.
This was pretty good. Next time I will rinse the potatoes so that they aren't so starchy. Would also be really good with pepperjack cheese. HMMMM maybe next time.