Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
Chipotles give these burgers — from Hal’s Bar & Grill in Venice, California — a terrific kick. Servings: Makes 4 servings.
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced red onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chile
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- 4 red onions, slices
- 8 plum tomatoes, slices
- 2 bunches arugula (about 1 ounce)
- Whisk first 6 ingredients in small bowl. Season with salt and pepper. (Sauce can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.).
- Prepare barbecue (medium heat). Form ground turkey into four 1/2-inch-thick patties. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Grill burgers until cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Grill buns until just toasted. Spread 1 tablespoon sauce on bottom half of each bun. Top each with 1 burger, then 1 more tablespoon sauce. Top each with 1 onion slice, 2 tomato slices, then 1/2 bunch arugula. Cover with bun tops. Serve, passing remaining chipotle tartar sauce separately.
- *Chipotle chilies canned in a spicy tomato sauce, sometimes called adobo, are available at Latin American markets, specialty foods stores and some supermarkets.
- Makes 4 servings.