Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These mummies are none other than phyllo-wrapped beef with a hint of curry with pineapple dipping sauce.
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 8 ounces lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon mild curry paste
- 2 teaspoons minced gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 1⁄3 cup toasted ground almonds
PINEAPPLE DIPPING SAUCE
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple jam
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 pinch hot pepper flakes
- Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or grease; set aside.
- Filling: In skillet, fry beef over medium-high heat, breaking up with spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 minutes. Drain off fat.
- Add oil, onion, garlic, curry paste, ginger, cumin, salt and pepper; fry until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in stock; reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until about half of the liquid remains, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in bread crumbs and almonds. Let cool for 30 minutes. (Make-ahead: Refrigerate, uncovered, until cold; cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours.).
- Place 1 sheet of the phyllo on work surface, covering remainder with damp tea towel to prevent drying out. From long side, cut crosswise into 4 strips; brush lightly with butter. Spoon scant 1 tbsp (15 mL) filling into log about 1/2 inch (1 cm) from end and sides of strip. Fold sides over filling; fold over end and roll up. Brush lightly with butter. Place on prepared pan. Repeat with remaining phyllo. (Make-ahead: Freeze in single layer. Layer with waxed paper in airtight container and freeze for up to 2 weeks; bake frozen, adding 5 minutes to baking time.).
- Bake in centre of 375°F (190°C) oven until golden, 15 to 18 minutes. Serve warm with Pineapple Dipping Sauce. Makes 40 pieces.
- PINEAPPLE DIPPING SAUCE: In microwaveable bowl, whisk together jam, lime juice and hot pepper flakes; cover and microwave on high for 30 seconds or until melted. Serve warm. (Make-ahead: Let cool. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.).
- Makes about 1/2 cup (125 mL).
- Canadian Living Magazine.