1/8 Photos of Halloween Tombstone Treats
Really cute rice crispy treat squares with decorated tombstones on top, coconut "grass" and candy pumpkins! Original recipe came from the Oct/Nov 2006 Taste of Home issue. (*See my notes if making for small children!)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups mini marshmallows
- 6 1/2-7 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 (18 ounce) package refrigerated sugar cookie dough
- 2/3 cup flour
- 32 wooden toothpicks
- 1 teaspoon water
- 4 drops green food coloring
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- black decorating gel
- vanilla frosting
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 16 decorative candies, pumpkins
- 1In large saucepan over low heat, melt butter.
- 2Stir in marshmallows until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- 3Stir in cereal til well-coated. (*Iused 6 1/2 cups because I think they come out less dry.And they hold up better if they have to sit out for awhile). The original recipe called for 7 1/2, but what i used worked out really well!).
- 4Press into a greased 13x9x2 pan with a buttered spatula. Cool.
- 5In large mixing bowl, beat cookie dough and flour til well mixed.(*You do have to add the flour, otherwise that store-bought dough is really awful -- very sticky!).
- 6On a lightly-floured surface, roll dough into a 6" x 16" rectangle.
- 7Cut into 16 small rectangles. 2 rows of 8. Each one being 3" x 2".
- 8You can trim tops (2" side)with a paring knife to resemble the top of a tombstone cutting an arch if desired.
- 9Place each tombstone onto ugreased baking sheets 2" apart.
- 10*Optional, along bottom edge (bottom 2" side)of each cookie, insert 2 toothpicks halfway into the dough. **If these will be for small children, I recommend not doing this. (My owm alternative directions to follow.).
- 11Bake cookies at 350º for 8-10 minutes or until edges are golden brown.(*Mine took 13-14 minutes.)But mine were probably a little thicker than the original recipe. It had said to roll out and hand-cut each cookie with a paring knife around a waxed paper pattern -- (Cutting them into rectangles from a large rectangle was MUCH easier! And made more sense to me.)Then just simply trim the tops to whatever shape/style you want.
- 12Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 13In large plastic ziploc bag, combine water and green food coloring.
- 14Add coconut, seal bag shut, and shake to coat.
- 15Toast coconut, set aside. (Optional.)I didn't, it was fine.
- 16Using black gel, tint frosting gray. (*I used one whole small tube and it was barely gray, but ok.).
- 17Frost cookies, decorate tombstones with more black gel. (*The black gel for writing didn't work for me! I had to scrape it off, refrost the ones I wrecked, and just used chocolate frosting instead for the writing part. That worked perfectly for me.).
- 18Cut cereal bars into 3"x2" rectangles.
- 19Spread with melted chocolate chips. (*I didn't do this, I used frosting instead.)BUT! See further instructions!
- 20Insert cookies into rice crispy treats sticking the toothpicks down in to hold up the cookie.
- 21Do this on the edge of one long side.
- 22*If you aren't using toothpicks, pipe a thick bead of melted chocolate chips on wide edge and hold in place til set. Or do on waxed paper, which is how i ended up doing this, and lay them down with the cookie pressed against it so you don't have to hold it. Refrigerate til set.(30 minutes was all it took.) Remove from waxed paper carefully.
- 23(*I then opted to use the rest of the chocolate frosting to frost the tops of the exposed rice crispy treats part. Pressed the pumpkin into the frosting, then sprinkled with coconut.).
- 24Decorate with coconut for "grass", and candy pumpkins.
- 25Makes 16 "Tombstones".
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Halloween Tombstone Treats
Serving Size: 1 (1324 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 347.8
- Calories from Fat 129
- Total Fat 14.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.0 g
- Cholesterol 14.9 mg
- Sodium 251.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 23.8 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: