Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This snack is so addictive you may want to double the recipe for a crowd. The raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas) crisp up as they cool so don't be concerned if they seem soft when you pull them from the oven.
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups raw pepitas (green hulled pumpkin seeds)
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper or grease; set aside.
- In bowl, beat egg white until soft peaks form, about 1 minute; beat in sugar, chili powder, cinnamon, salt and cayenne. Fold in pepitas to coat; spread evenly on prepared pans.
- Bake in top and bottom thirds of 350°F (180°C) oven, stirring once and rotating and switching pans halfway through, until puffed and slightly darkened, about 20 minutes. Let cool on pan on rack; break up clumps. (Make-ahead: Store in airtight container for up to 2 days.) Makes 2 cups.
- Canadian Living Magazine: November 2006.