1/6 Photos of Halloween Rats Baked in Blood
2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Wait till you tell the kids whats for dinner on Halloween! These are guaranteed to be the most delicious rats you’ll ever eaten. Serve on a bed of worms tossed with blood (spaghetti mixed with rat sauce) or simply place on a mound of mashed potatoes and prepare for a ghoulish feast... The "rats" are the first 9 ingredients, the remaining make up the "blood"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain white rice
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- uncooked spaghetti, broken into quarters
- thinly sliced raw carrot
- black peppercorns, cooked black beans
- 1 (19 ounce) can ground tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1In a mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, rice, onion, egg and 1 teaspoons (5 mL) of the salt. Mix well.
- 2Now make the rats. Using a measuring cup, scoop out 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the ground beef mixture. Form it, by hand, into a firmly packed teardrop shape — pointy on one end, rounded on the other. This is your basic rat. Place it into a 3-quart (3 liter) shallow baking dish and gently pinch in the neck area. Poke a piece of uncooked spaghetti into the larger rounded end as a tail. Repeat with the remaining ground beef mixture.
- 3When all the rats are neatly placed in the baking dish, stir together the tomatoes, water, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, remaining 1 teaspoons (5 mL) of salt and 1/4 teaspoons (1 mL) pepper. Pour over the rats. Cover the dish with foil wrap (or a lid, if it has one) and bake at 350° F (180° C) for 45 minutes. Uncover and continue to bake for another 45 to 50 minutes, basting occasionally with sauce, or until the rice is tender and the rats are fully cooked.
- 4Gently remove rats, one at a time, from the sauce and place gently on a serving platter. (Take care not to damage the tails — they’re fairly delicate.) Into each rat, insert two carrot slices as ears, peppercorns (or whatever) for eyes, and a few more broken strands of uncooked spaghetti for whiskers. Spoon sauce around the rats and serve, smiling wickedly.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Halloween Rats Baked in Blood
Serving Size: 1 (330 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 449.2
- Calories from Fat 167
- Total Fat 18.6 g
- Saturated Fat 7.3 g
- Cholesterol 157.0 mg
- Sodium 1345.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 7.8 g
- Protein 38.6 g