Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is not so much a recipe, although you "could" eat it if you really wanted to I guess. This is non toxic after all. (Please don't eat it). This will be fun to make with the kids for some Halloween fun. It's quick, easy and fun to do. When I make my Halloween play dough I like to do any of the following colors: green, purple, orange and a dark blackish green (this color makes great monsters).
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon cream of tartar (helps make it stretch better)
- food coloring (drops or paste, see description)
- First you need to boil your water. When it's got a nice rolling boil going on, add your flour, salt, oil and cream of tarter immediately. Stir with a wooden spoon. Turn off the burner and move the pot to the counter.
- After it cools, you want to roll it by hand to get it all smooth. Now you want to add some color. You can to dye it spooky colors with food coloring. Just mix the colors into the dough until you get the desired color.
- To make the color orange, you need to mix red and yellow food coloring. If you want purple, mix red and blue. For black, mix all the colors in your food coloring together and this will give you black or gray. For the monster color, dark blackish green, mix all the colors together but add more green then any other color.
- Set up a clean area for your child to play with their play dough. Since this is HALLOWEEN play dough, suggest to your child that they make Halloween creations, such as pumpkins, a witch or even a creepy monster. You can buy the cheaper plastic Halloween cookie cutters that work perfect as play dough toys.
- Storing your play dough immediately after use is a very important thing. If you don't, it will dry out right away. You can store your playdough in an airtight container or in Ziploc bags.
- I recommend storing your different colored play dough separately, otherwise you will end up with a big brown gob. Homemade play dough will only last a few days but it's very easy to cook up a new batch.