Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Fabulous taste, and very light. Use any orange liqueur if you don't have Grand Marnier.
Make and share this Halloween Pie recipe from Food.com.
- 1 chocolate wafer pie crust (9 inch)
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package orange gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 can evaporated milk, chilled ((160 mL tin))
- 1 tablespoon Grand Marnier
- Either purchase a prepared chocolate wafer pie crust, or make one: Crush one package chocolate wafer cookies into fine crumbs, mix with 1/3 cup melted margarine, and press all but three tablespoons of the crumb mixture into a ten-inch pie plate.
- To make the filling: Combine the orange jello, boiling water, sugar, orange juice and orange rind (freshly grated, not dried), stirring until the sugar crystals are dissolved.
- Chill in a bowl until this reaches a soft jelly-like consistency.
- Whip the chilled evaporated milk (a small tin, 160 mL in size, not the big one) until it becomes light and frothy.
- Fold this into the jello mixture along with the liqueur.
- Pour into the pie shell, and sprinkle with reserved crumbs, if available.
- Chill for one to two hours before serving.
- This lets the pie set and you'll be able to cut it into slices.
As promised, from the thread on recipes that we wish someone would try, I made this pie this weekend. The fluffy, light, orange filling is WONDERFUL!! But, in my opinion, the chocolate crumb crust overpowers the orange taste too much. I am going to make this pie again, but this time, I am going to try it in either a regular graham cracker crust or a vanilla wafer crust.
This was very unique and has a soft, fluffy chiffon-like texture. It also has a very attractive pale peach color and a tangy orange flavor. I enjoyed it, but not all tasters enjoyed it as well. The main issue was that the chocolate crust didn't quite compliment the filling as well as perhaps shortbread might. I usualy love a choco-orange combo, but I have to agree with the last poster on this point.
Although the flavor is good, I did have a problem getting the slices out of the plate in one piece. Made for Everyday Holiday Tag game Halloween Recipes. :)