- 1 lb demerara sugar
- 1⁄2 pint water
- 3 ounces butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 4 ounces black treacle
- 4 ounces golden syrup
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan until sugar is dissolved.
- Don't let it boil.
- Add all the other ingredients and stir until it bubbles and boils (don't leave it for a second- stir it constantly!).
- Test to see if it's ready by dripping a teaspoon full into a cup of cold water.
- If it sets, it's ready!
- Grease a flat tin with a thin layer of butter and pour in the mixture.
- Leave to set.
- When it's rock hard, shatter and enjoy!