Recipe by EdsGirlAngie
Halloween Jack is a character in David Bowie's song "Diamond Dogs", which includes one of my favorite song lyrics of all time... "As they pulled you out of the oxygen tent, you asked for the latest party." This soup makes me think of Halloween Jack, as it's full of two kinds of Monterey Jack cheese, plus a little chili powder and tomato giving it a light pumpkiny color. And it's quick and warming, a good supper as you're trying to get your little goblins out of the door so they can get lots of candy on Halloween night.
Top Review by mensan98th
We had the same problem with the soup separating, but I think my fiancÃ© might have gotten it too hot before we put it in the crock pot. That did not stop our guests from eating just about the whole pot! Highly recommended as a good cheese soup for any time, not just Halloween.
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 red potatoes, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (more or less depending on chicken broth used)
- black pepper
- 1 cup jalapeno jack cheese, shredded
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- sliced green onion (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot, combine chicken broth, tomatoes, garlic powder and potatoes.
- Heat to boiling; cover and reduce heat to medium and simmer 10 minutes then remove from heat and set aside.
- Melt butter in a separate saucepan, stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes.
- Blend in 2-1/2 cups of the milk, 1/2 cup at a time, whisking until smooth and thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir into the broth mixture.
- Return the soup pot to the stove and cook over medium heat, then stir in remaining milk, salt, pepper, chili powder and cheese.
- Cook until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.
- Garnish with green onion slices.