Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Before all of the frightful sugary treats, fill your little one’s bellies with wholesome goodness of Macaroni and Cheese. This simple stovetop recipe can be whipped up as fast as a cauldron of goo and it’s the perfect night to coerce kids into something green. While pasta is cooking, make your sauce and assemble when ready to serve. It’s just that simple !
- 3 cups enriched macaroni (6 cups cooked) or 3 cups other small shell pasta (6 cups cooked)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, 2%
- 1 cup whipping cream, 35%
- 2 cups spinach or 2 cups arugula leaves, packed
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt and pepper
- In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 8 min or according to package directions, until tender; drain well.
- Meanwhile in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook broccoli and onion until softened, about 3 minute Stir in nutmeg. Add milk and cream; cook stirring often, for 8 to 10 min or until slightly thickened and broccoli is tender. Stir in spinach and remove from heat.
- In a blender, in batches, or with an immersion blender, puree until smooth or desired consistency. Stir in macaroni to coat; stir in Canadian Cheddar and
- Parmesan cheese until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand for 5 min before serving. Serves 6.
- Slice up broccoli stems to use in soups or with dips.
- Add 2 cups (500 mL) diced grilled chicken or ham.
- Tip for the Adventurous:
- Substitute Canadian smoked Gouda or Gruyère for the Old Cheddar.
- Time Saving Tip:
- Make ahead and reheat, adding more milk if too thick.