Before all of the frightful sugary treats, fill your little one’s bellies with wholesome goodness of Macaroni and Cheese. This simple stovetop recipe can be whipped up as fast as a cauldron of goo and it’s the perfect night to coerce kids into something green. While pasta is cooking, make your sauce and assemble when ready to serve. It’s just that simple !
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups enriched macaroni (6 cups cooked) or 3 cups other small shell pasta (6 cups cooked)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups milk, 2%
- 1 cup whipping cream, 35%
- 2 cups spinach or 2 cups arugula leaves, packed
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt and pepper
- 1In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 8 min or according to package directions, until tender; drain well.
- 2Meanwhile in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook broccoli and onion until softened, about 3 minute Stir in nutmeg. Add milk and cream; cook stirring often, for 8 to 10 min or until slightly thickened and broccoli is tender. Stir in spinach and remove from heat.
- 3In a blender, in batches, or with an immersion blender, puree until smooth or desired consistency. Stir in macaroni to coat; stir in Canadian Cheddar and
- 4Parmesan cheese until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand for 5 min before serving. Serves 6.
- 6Slice up broccoli stems to use in soups or with dips.
- 7Add 2 cups (500 mL) diced grilled chicken or ham.
- 8Tip for the Adventurous:
- 9Substitute Canadian smoked Gouda or Gruyère for the Old Cheddar.
- 10Time Saving Tip:
- 11Make ahead and reheat, adding more milk if too thick.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Halloween Green and Gooey Macaroni and Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 722.4
- Calories from Fat 407
- Total Fat 45.2 g
- Saturated Fat 27.9 g
- Cholesterol 147.0 mg
- Sodium 695.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 31.3 g