3 hrs 30 mins
Although I haven't made these yet I think these apples are pretty for Halloween and easy enough for kids to make. Prep time includes microwaving time. Cook time is chilling time. Recipe source: Woman's Day (November 2004)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1You will also need: 1 quart ziptop bag (freezer-type is best).
- 2Wash, dry apples and remove stems. Insert sticks into apples.
- 3Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and coat with nonstick cooking spray (Pam). Set aside.
- 4Microwave caramels and 2 tablespoons water in a large microsafe bowl on high for 2-3 minutes, stirring occassionally, until caramel is melted and smooth.
- 5Dip one apple into melted caramel, spooning over apples to ensure the whole apple is coated well, letting excess drip off into bowl. Place on prepared baking sheet. Prepare remaining apples and then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until caramel is hard.
- 6In a saucepan or bowl stir shortening into melted chocolate.
- 7Preparing one apple at a time, spoon a band of chocolate half way up and around apple, covering bottom half of apple (the part of the apple opposite the stick).
- 8Return apple to baking sheet.
- 9Prepare remaining apples and refrigerate at least 2 hours or until hard.
- 10Melt candy melts (available in cake decorating store or in baking aisle) according to package directions. Spoon or scrape into ziplock bag. Cut a tiny corner in corner of bag.
- 11Pipe orange on each apple zigzagging decoratively.
- 12Place on cookie sheet and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until serving.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Halloween Caramel Apple
Serving Size: 1 (281 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 496.3
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 4.6 mg
- Sodium 166.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 72.9 g
- Protein 4.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
orange candy melts