Recipe by ellie_
Although I haven't made these yet I think these apples are pretty for Halloween and easy enough for kids to make. Prep time includes microwaving time. Cook time is chilling time. Recipe source: Woman's Day (November 2004)
- 6 apples
- 6 wooden popsicle sticks or 6 lollipop sticks
- 1 (14 ounce) bag caramels, unwrapped
- 2 tablespoons shortening (Crisco)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1⁄4 cup orange candy melts
Directions See How It's Made
- You will also need: 1 quart ziptop bag (freezer-type is best).
- Wash, dry apples and remove stems. Insert sticks into apples.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper and coat with nonstick cooking spray (Pam). Set aside.
- Microwave caramels and 2 tablespoons water in a large microsafe bowl on high for 2-3 minutes, stirring occassionally, until caramel is melted and smooth.
- Dip one apple into melted caramel, spooning over apples to ensure the whole apple is coated well, letting excess drip off into bowl. Place on prepared baking sheet. Prepare remaining apples and then refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or until caramel is hard.
- In a saucepan or bowl stir shortening into melted chocolate.
- Preparing one apple at a time, spoon a band of chocolate half way up and around apple, covering bottom half of apple (the part of the apple opposite the stick).
- Return apple to baking sheet.
- Prepare remaining apples and refrigerate at least 2 hours or until hard.
- Melt candy melts (available in cake decorating store or in baking aisle) according to package directions. Spoon or scrape into ziplock bag. Cut a tiny corner in corner of bag.
- Pipe orange on each apple zigzagging decoratively.
- Place on cookie sheet and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until serving.