Recipe by Hotmitts Houlihan
From a cake mix! Easy and impressive! This version of the recipe from Taste Of Homes' Cake Mix Creations, has slightly more specific instructions and added ingredients than another recipe posted here. I'm sure they taste just the same, but I wanted to get this tried and true recipe in for my own records. I've used this for HALLOWEEN and CHRISTMAS with different food colorings for either the crust or the top batter or both, and have left plain for everyday. Bonus: They freeze very well. I've also found that they need to be cut smaller than your average bar size as they're very rich.(and I love chocolate!)
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- orange food coloring (optional) or red food coloring (optional) or green food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs and oil.
- With floured hands, press two-thirds of the mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. (I like to line my pan with parchment or use non stick butter & flour spray.).
- Set aside remaining 1/3 cake mixture.(Optional: Add food coloring to this remaining 1/3 batter until desired color.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the milk,chocolate chips and butter.
- Microwave, uncovered, on high for 45 seconds; stir. Microwave 45-60 seconds longer or until chips and butter are melted; Pour over crust.
- Drop teaspoonfuls of remaining cake mixture randomly over top.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool before cutting.