Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Canadian White Cheddar and Potato Soup with a Cranberry Swirl:Hearty yet simple, this comforting soup will ground everyone before or after a day of candy. Thick potato Canadian Cheddar soup suspends the cranberries in the image of an eyeball. Who knew they could be so delicious? Make in advance and serve with a green salad for a spooktacular dinner or lunch.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cups potatoes, peeled and diced yellow fleshed (about 3 large) or 4 cups oblong potatoes (about 3 large)
- 4 cups chicken stock, reduced- sodium
- 1 1⁄2 cups canadian old white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup sour cream (5% M.F.)
- 6 tablespoons whole cranberry sauce, canned
- In large pot, melt butter over medium heat; cook garlic, onion and celery stirring for 3 to 5 min or until onion is softened. Add potatoes and chicken stock; bring to boil, over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 10 to15 min or until potatoes are tender.
- In a blender, in batches, or with an immersion blender, puree until smooth; return to pot, if necessary. (Make-ahead: Cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.) Stir in cheese and sour cream; heat over low heat until cheese melts.
- Spoon 1 tbsp (15 mL) cranberry sauce in center of each shallow bowl and ladle soup around cranberries, not covering so it appears as an eyeball. Serve immediately. Serves 6. Preparation 10 minutes, cooking time 32 minutes.
- For a Halloween cocktail party, serve hot soup in 2 oz. (50 mL) shot glasses and top with 1 tsp (5 mL) of cranberry sauce. Yield 30 servings.