Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast, plus
- 60 ml water
- 250 -500 ml water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- olive oil
- extra flour, for dusting cups
- 250 g halloumi cheese, cut into 1 cm dice
- 1 -2 tablespoon dried mint (or to taste)
- Preheat oven to very hot, approximately.
- Dissolve the yeast in the measure of warm water (stirring with a teaspoon), until frothy.
- Sift flour into a bowl.
- Add water and salt to flour.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and pour in the yeast.
- Stir into flour until thickened.
- Knead by hand until smooth and elastic and not sticky on your hands.
- Add a generous splash of olive oil at this stage and an extra handful of flour if you need it to pick up the residue from the bowl (the bowl should be clean).
- Add cheese to dough with the dried mint.
- Shape dough into ball, put onto a plate lined with a floured tea towel and allow to prove.
- Cover the dough ball with the ends of the tea towel and leave in warm place (i. e. at 25C room temperature) to rise and until doubled in bulk.
- Place dough on a flat baking tray and put in pre-heated oven to cook.
- Reduce temperature to moderately hot (200-220°C) after 5-10 minutes.
- Cook for another 25-35 minutes.
- When the loaf is cooked the crust will be hard, and the loaf will feel light in your hands.