Recipe by ** Poppy **
Top Review by Lorrie in Montreal
Made for Northern Mediterranean Photo Challenge. I really enjoyed the flavour and moist texture of these patties. I think a couple of these nestled in a warm pita bread with some tzatziki sauce and chopped tomato is a meal fit for a queen!
- 2 eggs
- 4 slices day-old white bread
- 1 large potato, grated and squeezed
- 1 large onion, grated
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 2 tablespoons grated halloumi cheese
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 kg finely minced ground beef or 1 kg ground pork
- flour, for coating
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat eggs lightly in a deep mixing bowl.
- Remove crust form bread and discard, soak bread in cold water and squeeze dry.
- Crumble in eggs and add onion, potato, herbs, garlic, cheese and seasonings.
- Add meat and blend lightly and thorough by mixing with hands.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- With moistened hands, shape into balls about the size of a small egg.
- Roll in flour and flatten each to a thick patty.
- Shallow fry in hot oil until nicely browned (6 minutes each side).
- Lift out and drain.
- Place in serving dish and keep hot until all patties are done.