Prep 25 mins
Cook 10 mins
Another Halloumi recipe we really like. It serves us two as a main course. Add salt to the marinade if you like, personally I find the Halloumi salty enough. Adapted from a Delia Smith recipe. Marinating time not included. How many skewers will depend on the size of the onion, pepper and how many mushrooms you want to use. It does give you the opportunity to stretch the recipe to four servings. If you do that also increase the marinade ingredients.
- 12 ounces halloumi cheese, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 sweet pepper, any color
- 1 red onion
- some mushroom
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 tablespoon fresh finely chopped herbs (like, thyme, oregano, parsley, mint or any combination that you like or what is available.)
- crushed garlic
- lime juice or lemon juice
- black pepper
- skewer (Wooden or metal)
- Cut up the pepper and the red onion to match the size of the cheese cubes.
- Combine the herbs, garlic, oil, pepper and add lime juice to taste.
- Add the cheese, pepper, onion and mushrooms to the marinade, mix all together, cover and place in the fridge for 24 hours, give them a stir now and then.
- Next day, thread the Halloumi mix onto skewers, barbecue or grill them until the cheese is tinged brown on the edges, using the left over marinade for basting.
these were very good - especially if you love the flavours of the Mediterranean (as I do). The recipe didn't specify, so I used 2 crushed garlic cloves and the juice of 1 lemon, I also squirted a little more lemon overtop after grilling. This would be great as part of an antipasto platter.