Top Review by Missy Wombat
I really liked the dressing in this recipe. My tip is to remember to wash and soak the cheese in fresh water to remove the salty brine. The salt is pretty overpowering if you don't if you have the genuine Cypriot article. Another good recipe Poppy!
- 8 ounces halloumi cheese
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
FOR THE DRESSING
- 6 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soft brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare dressing by heating balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add sugar and stir until it caramelises and mixture changes to a darker colour.
- Take off heat and set aside to cool for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in olive oil and add seasoning to taste.
- Unwrap the Halloumi cheese and cut into six slices.
- Season flour with salt and pepper and coat pieces of Halloumi with flour on both sides.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan until very hot and add Halloumi pieces.
- Fry one or two minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Pour half of dressing on warm plate until it covers the whole plate evenly.
- Add cheese pour the rest of the dressing on top.
- Garnish with sprigs of parsley and serve with hot pitta bread.