Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
- 450 g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 240 ml cold water
- 5 ml lemon juice
- 50 g clarified butter
- 225 g margarine or 225 g butter
- 450 g halloumi cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley or 1 teaspoon mint
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- cheese filling: Mix all the ingredients together, taste and adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- Dough: Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre, add the water and lemon juice and mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon.
- Add the melted fat and knead for about 10 minutes or until smooth.
- Shape the dough into 1 large ball, cover with a damp cloth and leave for 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour your working surface and roll out the dough until 0.
- 5cm thick.
- Put the block of margarine or butter in the middle of the sheet of dough and fold the pastry over the fat so that it is completely enclosed.
- With a well floured rolling pin, flatten the dough to a 1cm thickness.
- Fold the dough in half and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
- Roll out the dough again on the floured surface to 0.
- 5cm thickness.
- Fold in half and refrigerate for a further 10 minutes.
- Keeping the work surface well floured, roll the dough out once more as thinly as possible.
- Cut into 7.
- 5cm-10cm squares or circles.
- Put 5-10ml of filling in one half of each shape.
- Dampen the edges with cold water and fold over to make rectangles or semi circles.
- Seal the edges with your fingertips or a fork.
- Arrange on a greased baking tray with a little beaten egg.
- Bake in a 180°C (350°F) mark 4 oven for 20-30 minutes or until puffed or golden brown.