Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
This gorgeous salad was thought up by our friend Imppa. I have since given this recipe to numerous people - I think we've served this to everyone who's visited since Imppa did and made this salad for us! This recipe is really more of an idea, so you can adjust the measurements to your liking; just don't overdo the cherry tomatoes, as they're only supposed to be a part of a simple salad background for the glorious union of halloumi cheese and pears! For a luxurious touch, flambé the pear cubes with cognac.
- 1 bunch oak leaf lettuce (or any other green you prefer)
- 2 bunches arugula
- 8 -10 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -2 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- salt (optional)
- black pepper (freshly ground) (optional)
- 1 -2 ripe pear
- 1 -2 teaspoon butter
- 250 g halloumi cheese
- Shred rinsed lettuce and arugula and arrange on a plate (this salad looks prettier on a flat surface, so for presentation, use a plate rather than a bowl).
- Halve cherry tomatoes, arrange on top of salad.
- Mix olive oil and balsamic vinegar, drizzle on top of the salad. Season with salt and pepper, if you prefer.
- Peel pear(s) and cut into small cubes. Heat butter in a pan and cook pear cubes until warm and soft. Let cool a little and pour on top of the salad.
- Slice halloumi cheese (soak in cold water first for 5-20 minutes if you want to reduce the saltiness). Heat butter in a pan and fry the slices until browned on both sides; arrange on top of the salad.
- Serve immediately while the cheese is still warm.
Great colors, great taste, great salad for a party, thanks!
I enjoyed this, I love halloumi and quite enjoyed this salad. Thanks for posting
This was so easy and tasty, perfect amount of prep work for a hot summer day like today. I used nashi, sweet william and comice pears and served an additional creamy parmesan dressing on the side (only because I had buttermilk I needed to use). Great recipe. We'll use often!