Recipe by auntchelle
A simple, tasty salad that's also attractive. This makes a great lunch & light dinner. Add some grilled lamb and you have a more substantial meal. From an old Super Food Ideas magazine. Australian measurements used.
Top Review by stormylee
Great salad! I used red lentils instead of brown and didn't dust the halloumi with flour, because I was sure it would have taken, like, 30 seconds and I wanted to eat already!! ;-) An amazing combination of tastes and takes very little time to make. Will definitely make again, and soon - thank you Mischka!
- 2 (400 g) cans brown lentils, drained & rinsed
- 1 small red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 lebanese cucumber, halved lengthwise, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup mint leaf, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 250 g halloumi cheese
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat.
- Combine first 7 items in a bowl.
- Lengthwise, slice halloumi into 8 even pieces. Use a paper towel to pat dry. Lightly dust each slice with flour. Shake off excess.
- In 2 batches, spray one side of each cheese slice with oil than place, oil-side down, on grill pan. Cook for approx 2 minutes then spray top side and flip over. Cook for 2 minutes on this side or until golden. Drain on paper towel.
- Serve immediately on top of lentil salad.