Recipe by evelyn/athens
This is a wonderful vegetarian meal focusing on a marvellous Cypriot cheese - Haloumi. You could also make smaller stacks to serve 4 as an appetizer.
Top Review by Missy Wombat
This got great reviews in our home! DH and I both felt the dressing complemented the halloumi perfectly and I loved the recipe because it used ingredients I already love and had. Very simple to put together. Even my toddler ate some and she is going through a fussy phase at the moment!
- 1 eggplant, sliced into about 8 to 10 pieces
- 8 slices halloumi cheese
- olive oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced very fine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh spearmint
- 2 teaspoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all salad dressing ingredients together and stir well.
- Brush eggplant slices with olive oil and place under a hot grill; cook for 2-3 minutes on each side, until lightly browned and cooked through; alternatively, grill on BBQ.
- Coat haloumi cheese in flour and fry in a little olive oil in a not-stick frying pan on high heat until lightly brown on both sides; alternatively, grill on BBQ (do not coat with flour if grilling on the bbq).
- Divide eggplant and haloumi slices into 2 equal portions; place the largest slice of eggplant on a plate, cover with one layer of haloumi cheese and alternate eggplant and haloumi slices, ending with an eggplant layer; repeat this process with the remaining eggplant and haloumi slices.
- Spoon salad dressing ingredients over the two stacks.