Recipe by evelyn/athens
A mild, flavourful corn and cheese casserole to accompany all kinds of roasts or grilled meats. Also great as a vegetarian entree.
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 pint light cream (single)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 4 ounces halloumi cheese (a cypriot) or 4 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated (do try to get the haloumi if you have a good international cheese selection)
- 1 lb sweetcorn
- 2 green onions, white and green parts, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 gratings nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread the butter over the bottom and sides of a casserole dish.
- Warm the milk in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, add the cream cheese and stir until it melts.
- Turn off the heat and add half of the grated cheese and the corn.
- Stir for a minute.
- Stir in the scallions, parsley, garlic, the nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the mixture into the buttered casserole dish and sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until the mixture is hot and bubbly and the cheese topping has melted and is just starting to turn golden.