1 hr 20 mins
You can use any white fleshed fish or shellfish for this. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly. This stew should be thick, not soupy. From The Best Recipes in the World by Mark Bittman.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons corn oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, roughly chopped
- 2 potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 turnip, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 celery ribs, roughly chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and chopped with their juice (canned are fine)
- 2 lbs halibut or 2 lbs other fish, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan or casserole with a lid over medium-high heat.
- 2Add the garlic and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add all the vegetables and stir once or twice.
- 4Turn the heat to medium, cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the mixture dries out add a little water.
- 5When the carrots are nearly tender, lay the fish pieces on top of the vegetables and sprinkle with paprika, salt, and pepper.
- 6Re-cover and cook until the fish is done(a thin-bladed knife inserted into it’s center will meet little resistance).
- 7Taste and adjust the seasoning (this will take plenty of black pepper).
Browse Our Top Halibut Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Halibut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Halibut With Vegetables
Serving Size: 1 (550 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 382.1
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 111.2 mg
- Sodium 225.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 32.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 46.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: