Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Food & Wine.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 1 large leek, white and tender green parts, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick
- 4 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1⁄2 lb swiss chard, stems discarded, leaves torn into large pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 4 (6 ounce) skinless halibut fillets
- 1⁄2 cup shredded basil leaves
- Preheat the oven to 425 °. Heat the olive oil in a large enameled cast-iron casserole.
- Add the onion, leek and garlic, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the wine and cook until almost evaporated, about 3 minutes. Add the squash, Swiss chard, red and yellow bell peppers, fennel seeds, thyme and crushed red pepper.
- Season the vegetables generously with salt and pepper, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Spread half of the vegetable stew in an 8-by-11-inch glass or ceramic baking dish.
- Season the halibut with salt and pepper and nestle the fillets in the stew; cover with the remaining vegetables.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the halibut is just cooked through. Sprinkle with the basil and serve.