Recipe by kymgerberich
Rich and refreshing at the same time.
Top Review by Mewnshine
Made this as a result of being given a bunch of grapefruit from a neighbor's tree. The fish & sauce combo was very tasty. We thought the grapefruit chunks in the vegetables added a bit too much grapefruit to the meal; so next time I'll reduce the amount (or eliminate altogether and rely on the sauce to carry the taste of the grapefruit through). A keeper!
- 3 grapefruits (preferably 2 white and 1 pink or red)
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 5⁄8 cup unsalted butter, cut into tbl pieces
- 4 halibut steaks, with skin (1/2 inch-thick, 1 1/2 lb)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb fresh shiitake mushroom, stems discarded and caps thinly sliced
- 2 Belgian endive, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices
Directions See How It's Made
- Make Beurre blanc:.
- Finely grate 1 tsp zest from a grapefruit. Squeeze 1/2 cup juice from a white grapefruit.
- Cut peel, including all white pith, from remaining fruit with a sharp paring knife and cut segments free from membranes. Chop enough grapefruit segments (use all colors) to measure 1/2 cup. Reserve 1 cup of remaining whole segments.
- Boil juice, wine, shallot, and vinegar in a small heavy saucepan until reduced to about 1 Tbl. Reduce heat to low and whisk in butter 1 piece at a time, lifting pan from heat occasionally to cool sauce and adding each new piece of butter before previous one has melted completely (sauce must not get hot enough to separate).
- Stir in chopped grapefruit and season with salt and pepper. Keep beurre blanc warm in a metal bowl set over a saucepan of hot water.
- Cook fish and vegetables:.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Pat halibut dry and season with salt and pepper. Heat 1 1/2 Tbl oil in a large nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then saute fish, in batches, if necessary, turning over once, until golden brown and just cooked through, about 5 minutes total. Transfer fish to a shallow baking pan and keep warm in oven.
- Wipe skillet clean and heat remaining 1 1/2 Tbl oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then saute mushrooms with salt and pepper to taste, stirring, until golden brown, 5 - 7 minutes. Add endives and saute, stirring, until leaves are slightly wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in reserved whole grapefruit segments and remove from heat.
- Serve fish over mushrooms, topped with beurre blanc and zest.