Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
When I was first dating my husband, we went to a small restaurant in Moss Landing and I had this dish. The sweet tomatoes, sour lemon and salty olives and capers are wonderful with the halibut. The chef was kind enough to list the ingredients for me. What I didn't remember exact amounts for, I improvised and it's close enough for me to what I had that day! If you can't get good cherry tomatoes, use any tomato chopped small. I've also subbed half the olive oil for stock when I'm feeling dietetic and that's good too. Not AS good, maybe, but good!
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted, chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, drained
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 lbs halibut steaks (for four pieces) or 2 lbs halibut fillets (for four pieces)
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix lemon and mustard blend in oil 'til emulsified (I love my immersion blender!). Stir in tomatoes, olives, capers, salt & pepper.
- Put the fish in a baking dish just large enough to hold them in one layer and pour the tomato mixture over it.
- Cook the fish in middle of oven until just cooked through--depending on the thickness of your fish, it can vary from 10-20 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, and serve fish with the sauce. Freshly ground black pepper is great, but the capers and olives usually have enough salt to carry the dish.
- Excellent on angel hair pasta!
Excellent! Keeper recipe! I love the flavor as well as it is being light and healthy. Very simple to cook as well. Thank you.
I have to say, this is one fabulous dish! The fish was tender (I used fresh haddock) and the smells from the kitchen were as good as the flavor of the first bite! Delicious all the way and my family requests that we have it again real soon, so you know it's a keeper!
I had halibut in the freezer I needed to use. I followed the recipe exactly and DH kept saying WOW! Even though there were a lot great flavors going on, the halibut was the star. I served it with angel hair pasta to sop up the wonderful juices. This is deinately restaurant quality!