Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
A superb fish recipe. I have been making this dish for over 30 years. The conmbination of the spices gives the fish a delightful flavor.
Top Review by TeriF
This recipe deserves 10 stars!! Absolutely phenomenal! I followed the recipe exactly and it was perfect. I served it with balsamic and red pepper steamed spinach and carrots, and couscous. A perfect dinner! Thank you Uncle Bill!!!!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh halibut steaks, 3/4 inch thick (3 steaks)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon whole milk, homogenized
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄4 cup crushed breakfast corn flakes
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1⁄4 cup grated hard parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano cheese preferred)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse halibut steaks in cold water and pat dry on paper towellling; set aside.
- In a small bowl, beat together eggs, milk and mustard until blended.
- Crush corn flakes.
- In a shallow mixing bowl, combine crushed corn flakes, granulated garlic powder, dried dill weed, parmesan cheese and Italian herb seasoning mix.
- Preheat oven to 450 F degrees.
- Dip halibut in egg mixture.
- Now dip halibut in corn flakes mixture to coat all surfaces well. With floured fingers, press the cornflakes firmly into the halibut.
- In a shallow 8" x 10" oven-proof casserole dish, in preheated 450 F oven, heat butter and olive oil until butter melts.
- Place coated halibut steaks in a single layer in the buttered casserole dish.
- Bake in preheated 450 F oven for 5 minutes.
- Turn halibut steaks over and continue to bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until fish flakes when tested with a fork; DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- Serve immediately with tartar sauce, lemon wedges or both.