Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
These halibut steaks are good with "Lemon roasted potatoes" (recipe in Recipezaar) and steamed/buttered asparagus with a little of the grated Swiss cheese sprinkled over the asparagus.
- 8 (4 ounce) halibut steaks
- 2 lemons, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- Arrange steaks in buttered or sprayed shallow oven dish.
- Arrange lemon and onion slices over fish.
- Season with pepper and allspice.
- Carefully pour wine over all.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Combine- bread crumbs, grated cheese, parsley.
- Sprinkle over fish.
- Dot with butter or margarine.
- Bake uncovered in 350°F oven for 25 minutes.
Dorothy I love our Halibut season when we can get it fresh and your recipe has made it even more enjoyable. What a simple, easy to prepare and tasty recipe. I got it ready in the AM except for sprinkling the breadcrumbs, cheese mixture on top and dotting on the butter. I did that just before baking it. I cut the recipe to 2 servings worked well. I did use a little more than 1/8 cup wine (which if I followed the recipe and cut it into 2 sevings it would have been) for the moisture while baking.. The baking time for two servings was almost the same just a tad less . Thanks Dorothy for another great recipe — May 21, 2003, 2 members found this helpful Additional comments- I used lime instead of lemon. Th halibut was perfect - flakey & moist excellent results following your recipe.
My DH said this was the best halibut ever! (And he loves my "regular" recipe). As another reviewer suggested, I put the onions and lemon underneath the halibut and then squeezed a small amount of fresh lemon juice on top for the marinating time. I used a bit more bread crumbs than called for and used fresh grated Parmesan. I think I would increase both next time to get a nice crunchy topping. Also, I couldn't taste the allspice, so I might either increase it or sub another herb. But the winning thing about this recipe is that it was so beautiful and moist. Very flavourful, very easy, what could be better?! Definitely a make-again! Thanks, Derf, for posting!
This was very good. I put the lemon slices under the steaks because I wanted the breadcrumbs to apply directly to the fish. The allspice was something I haven't used much. Added an interesting flavor.