Recipe by Derf
These halibut steaks are good with "Lemon roasted potatoes" (recipe in Recipezaar) and steamed/buttered asparagus with a little of the grated Swiss cheese sprinkled over the asparagus.
Top Review by Bergy
Dorothy I love our Halibut season when we can get it fresh and your recipe has made it even more enjoyable. What a simple, easy to prepare and tasty recipe. I got it ready in the AM except for sprinkling the breadcrumbs, cheese mixture on top and dotting on the butter. I did that just before baking it. I cut the recipe to 2 servings worked well. I did use a little more than 1/8 cup wine (which if I followed the recipe and cut it into 2 sevings it would have been) for the moisture while baking.. The baking time for two servings was almost the same just a tad less . Thanks Dorothy for another great recipe — May 21, 2003, 2 members found this helpful Additional comments- I used lime instead of lemon. Th halibut was perfect - flakey & moist excellent results following your recipe.
- 8 (4 ounce) halibut steaks
- 2 lemons, peeled and sliced
- 2 medium red onions, sliced
- cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange steaks in buttered or sprayed shallow oven dish.
- Arrange lemon and onion slices over fish.
- Season with pepper and allspice.
- Carefully pour wine over all.
- Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Combine- bread crumbs, grated cheese, parsley.
- Sprinkle over fish.
- Dot with butter or margarine.
- Bake uncovered in 350°F oven for 25 minutes.