Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Rachael Ray's 365: No Repeats cookbook.
Make and share this Halibut Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage or 1⁄2 lb andouille sausage
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, cut in half lengthwise and sliced into half-moons
- 1 poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 quart chicken stock or 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can hominy
- 1 1⁄2 lbs halibut, cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwise, then sliced into half-moons
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro (optional)
- 1 lime, juice of
- Preheat a large soup pot over medium-high heat with oil. Remove sausage casing and slice thinly. Add to pot and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add onions, carrots, poblanos and garlic. Season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes.
- Add wine and cook 3 minutes. Add stock, bring to a simmer, and cook 5 minutes longer. Before you add the fish the soup should gently simmer so turn heat down if necessary.
- Add hominy, halibut, and zucchini. Gently simmer 5 minutes. Add parsley, cilantro (if using) and lime juice.
This soup was write up my alley. I'm surprised I'm the 1st to review it. I was looking for something to use up some halibut and we love spicy mexican food. It made quite a bit and if you wanted it to be less brothy, you could add less broth. Added some nice bread and it was a perfect dinner.